I went to the Dr. on Tuesday the 24th, exactly one week after my due date. They did an NST and found that the baby was fine, but my mid-wife knew that I was done and so scheduled me for an induction that night at 7:30p.m.
We got everything all ready, took a walk, and finished packing our bag. By the evening I was having very mild contractions. We headed to the hospital, got hooked up to the monitors for another NST and waited for them to see accelerations in the baby's heartbeat. Eventually they got the info they needed and at 9:00 p.m. they inserted a gel called Cervidil that is usually left in for 12 hours to help soften and open the cervix. So we settled in for the night, thinking we wouldn't see any progress until the next morning.
Around 10:15 p.m. I started getting more intense contractions. At midnight Randon got the nurse because my contractions were really intense. They gave me an IV in my left hand (after blowing the vein in my right hand and sticking me in my left wrist) with the intention to start me on pain meds, but then the nurse checked me and I was at a 5! So they removed the cervidil and brought in the anesthesiologist, who gave me an epidural around 12:45. HEAVEN.
After they made sure the epidural was working and did a few tests, they inserted a catheter. Just after inserting the catheter, I told the nurse I felt wet and so she checked and my water had broken! By this time it was about 1:15 a.m. I tried to get some sleep amid all the monitoring and beeping going on in the hospital...but I didn't get much. Maybe about two hours total.
The next morning at 5:40 a.m. the nurse came in to check me and I was dilated to a 9 and 100% effaced. This is when they started telling me lies like, "You are making great progress!", "It's going to be really soon." etc, etc, etc, lies. My mom was on her way and we called her thinking she was going to miss it. However, at around 9:00 a.m. I still wasn't progressing so they put me on petosin trying to increase my contractions to help with the last centimeter.
My mom arrived at 10 a.m. and I was still the same. At 10:45 I was almost fully dilated and the baby was at a +1. When the Dr. came in to check she said there was still a little sliver of cervix on the right and she could feel a little pocket of fluid left over from when my water broke, covering up the baby's head. So she broke it. For a while now I had been feeling the urge to push but they told me to hold off.
You can tell in this picture I haven't slept in a while. The blue thing I am holding is a barf bag because I was feeling pretty nauseated.Around noon I began pushing. Around 1:15 I had to stop because they said there was still a sliver of cervix that wasn't thinning. (So why the heck did they have me push for an hour and fifteen minutes you might ask? I wondered the same thing!)
About this time my epidural was wearing off and I was getting severe back pain. They discovered that the back pain was being caused by the positioning of the baby. She was in the OP position, which means, she was facing up towards my pubic bone causing the harder part of her skull to rest on the bony part of my spine. No good.
I got another dose of epidural (called something else that I can't remember...bolis or something) at about 1:45. We started pushing again on one side and then the other and then on my back and then one side and then the other, trying to get the baby to re-position herself. My epidural wore off again around 4:00. So they gave me another dose, and we started pushing again around 4:15.
Around 5:15 the medicine and completely worn off again! I was still pushing, I had a temperature, and the baby's heart rate was too high and holding, so they put me on oxygen. Also by this time I was completely exhausted because I hadn't slept or eaten in a really long time. I felt like I was having a nightmare I couldn't wake up from. The Dr. was starting to get concerned because of my temperature and the baby's heart rate, and said that basically my body and the baby would not withstand another two hours of this. They wanted to look at other options (aka- a c-section). Pretty much at this point I was SO DONE and so annoyed, I was like, "Do it now!" The Dr. said, "we'll see" and headed off to do a C-section for someone else.
After she left, the other Dr. kept wanting me to push. Why? The baby wasn't moving and I was in so much pain I thought I might die. So I told my mom and my nurse that I would not push one more time. That I wanted a c-section because I just couldn't do it anymore. So my sweet nurse said she was going to go ahead and prep me as if the Dr. had given the go-ahead. Throughout all of this I was so grateful I had my mom and Randon with me. When the Dr. came back in around 6:00 she was very sympathetic and kind and they all got me in as quickly as possible. Then my Dad and Randon gave me a quick blessing. I'm so grateful for the priesthood.
I was given another dose of some sort of anesthetic and off we went to the OR. All I really remember is that my teeth were chattering and I was shaking so bad it hurt. I just wanted to stop shaking and go to sleep. Also, my shoulder hurt but I couldn't make it stop. It was really weird. During the c-section, the baby was crammed so far down in my pelvic bone they had to use the vacuum to get her out. I saw her for a second when she was first born at 6:23 and then they wisked her away. She had pooped while still inside me and had swallowed some, so they had to pump her stomach. After they got her cleaned up the nurse brought her closer to me so I could get a better look. She leaned her down close so I could give her a very weak kiss and then she was gone again.


When we got back to the recovery room I just slept. I remember voices swimming in and out and people's blurry faces appearing occasionally but mostly, I slept. I was still shaking and had chattery teeth, and my shoulder still hurt, but I was so exhausted I could hardly open my eyes. Randon was there with the baby while they did the different things you do just after delivery; eye drops, B12 shot, etc.
I finally made myself wake up and sit up around 7:45, which is the first time I actually got to hold Kenlee. They showed me the little ridge on her head where she had continuously bumped into my pelvic bone while I was pushing. Her head was so red and the ridge was so deep, it hurt my heart. I had been having a difficult time, but so had she. But I thought she was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen.
After getting cleaned up, they wheeled us to our room, introduced us to our nurse and not us all set up for the next few days. Again sleep was not so much an option because I was hooked up to just about every machine in the whole hospital, and the baby and I were closely monitored all night long.The next day in the afternoon they removed my catheter and let me walk a bit. I was also allowed to take a shower the minute my 24 hours of post op was over. I don't think I have ever been so glad to take a shower in all my life.
The whole time we were in the hospital I just couldn't believe she was finally here. Getting her here had been such a nightmare, I thought it would never happen. But we had great staff while we were there who helped us out immensely.
Randon has been amazing. He has been up and down and all over for me at the hospital and here at home. I don't know what I would do without him. It's been so sweet to watch him become a Daddy. He is the most tender Father and he lovingly calls Kenlee, "Dolly".
We finally got to come home Saturday afternoon. My Mom and Dad and Lela have been here helping since Saturday and it has been wonderful! My mom cooks the most delicious, amazing meals, and stays up with the baby when I need to sleep. I am so grateful for her! They have to leave tomorrow because she and Lela have Girl's Camp. I can't really think about them leaving, it breaks my heart. But Randon's Mom get's to come tomorrow for a whole week and we are really looking forward to having her here!I'm recovering well but I'm pretty sore and it's hard to get up and down my stairs. In fact, the Dr. at the hospital told me not to do it very many times a day. I'm also not allowed to drive for awhile. Thank goodness for wonderful people who are helping me recover. And for letting me enjoy time with my sweet little Kenlee who is beautiful, and wonderful! I just adore her to pieces.
Thank you all for your prayers.





6 comments:
I love a good delivery story! It didn't unravel as you probably hoped, but it is good to hear you and the baby are healthy and happy after all that you went through and that you have lots of love and support while you recover.
Oh my gosh! You poor thing! I'm glad she's finally here!
She's adorable & I love the name you picked out!
Oh, my Callie! I'm so sorry you both had such a rough time! I might have started crying when you talked about seeing her poor little head and that she was having a rough time, too. I'm so glad that you're both doing well and that you get to hold her close! She's beautiful! I'm so happy for you!
Callie...what a crazy story!! Having had c-sections the teeth chattering happens to me everytime. Also my shoulder hurt too...they said some air got up in there and made an air bubble...so weird. Can't wait to meet her..loved reading your story!
Way to go, tough girl. Poor baby Kenlee... I know_ you never know when the baby is hurting until after the fact and then you feel horrible! Don't worry- she's BEAUTIFUL!
Oh that is a painful story and kinda scares me. I DON"T understand why doctors make patients go through all of that when the baby isn't in position and pushing and rotating isn't moving her along. Hello there are these awesome things called ultrasounds that give a pretty clear picture of the situation. Ssshhh. You surely have a special place in your heart for the blessing of Kenlee being brought into this world safely.
Post a Comment