Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Fond Farewell to Grandpa Udall

Today at about 3:00 p.m. my Grandpa Udall got to go be with my Grandma! Hooray Grandpa!
So for those of you who need to be caught up, let me do so now. Grandpa contracted pneumonia about 10 days ago. He was in the Safford Hospital for a time and then they air-evaced him here to TMC. He was on a ventilator (big, uncomfortable tube down the throat) the whole time he was here. They would periodically do tests by shutting down the ventilator to see if he could breathe on his own. All the times they tried, he could not. I was there for one of the tests and it was really hard to watch him struggle for breathe and be so uncomfortable. Also because of the tube, he could not speak or communicate his needs. So I held his hand and sang, "Love at Home" and tried by best to calm his anxiety. Before I left that day I told him I loved him, and he nodded at me. In my mind that is my goodbye because it was the last time I saw him conscious. Monday they decided to put in a trach because he was on the ventilator for too long. After they put it in, we got a call that evening that he had a punctured lung. Although I don't know all the details of this, the air that escaped his lungs filled his tissues making his face and body puff up like a balloon. When I went to see him with my mom I could hardly recocnize him. Today it became apparent that his respiratory condition was worsening rapidly. Several of my aunts and uncles and cousins and I gathered around his bed. We sang to him and spoke to him thanking him for being a wonderful father and grandfather. He passed away very peacefully, I was holding his hand. And I wept. I don't really know what's worse, losing a grandparent unexpectedly or preparing to lose a grandparent with a terminal illness. It feels so strange that he and grandma are now both gone, but at least they are together. So here's to my wonderful Grandpa. I love you.

9 comments:

Krissa said...

wow...what a blessing to know about eternal families! and that is great you were able to share those last minutes together. what a bonding experience. I am sorry!
Love ya!

Heather said...

Callie, I am so sorry to hear about your cute grandpa. You had (strike that - HAVE) such great grandparents, and I am grateful you have the comforting knowledge of the Gospel. I'm also glad you have Randon there with you. I love you!

Amber said...

Oh girl I've been wondering how things with your grandpa were going. It sounds like there are split emotions. I know your glad that he is with your grandma, but I'm sure he is missed. If you need anything let us know. Prayers and love are sent your way. -Amber

Meagan said...

I was going to respond to your funny comment about my hair. But maybe I'll just tell you this weekend when we need a funny moment. :) I'm so glad you got to be there with Grandpa. I hate that I didn't get a final goodbye. The last time I saw him was at Eric's farewell. :( I felt more prepared with Grandma. I've shed less tears for Grandpa just because I know he is SO happy now. A lot of my tears when Grandma died was because of how sad and lonely Grandpa was. I'm sad he had to suffer for so long, both without her and while he was sick. But I'm so happy for him now! See you this weekend. Love you!

Brittney Chapman said...

Callie, I'm so sorry about your grandpa! I just went through that a couple years ago when I lost my Grandpa Chapman. It is so hard, but it is such a comfort that we have the gospel and the peace that brings when we are hurting. I love you girlie! I haven't been able to catch up woth you in awhile! I am so glad that you have a blog so that I can see all the cool things you're doing in your life! Love ya!

Nathan, Bethany, Noah, and Porter said...

We're so sorry for your loss. Isn't it great to know he's back with his sweetheart?

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and heartache at this time. The Plan of Salvation is WONDERFUL! Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Love Jessica

Walters Family said...

Wow, Callie. Wow, wow, wow. I am sorry for you losing your grandpa but am so happy for your grandma to have her sweetheart with her. What a wonderful spirit you gave him for his passing, the sweet sound of beautiful sung music. It must have been so peaceful for him and I imagine Grandma was there with him to at the end anxious to see him. Wow!

Kimberly said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like an amazing man! I'm sure you have many memories to look back on and just smile. It is so comforting to me to KNOW that we will be with our loved ones again. "Eternal" is truly one of my favorite words. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. If you don't mind, I'd like to share a quote with you (this is hung up at my Mom's house under our family pictures): "When someone you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure." Love you guys!