Well, just real quick to preface this, my Grandma Udall was just recently diagnosed with stage three cancer or adenocarcinoma of the lung. She has been in and out of the hospital because she is having a hard time eating. A: It hurts to eat, and B: She's always nauseous from the treatments. Anyway, my Uncle came down and interviewed she and my Grandpa about different sections of their lives, so we could have their life stories. Here is a wise excerpt from the
"Besides Ken's advice about always treating kids with respect, as if each of them was Sister Kimball in my home, I made up my own advice later on. That is that if kids do something like stumble over a rock, they didn't mean to stumble over the rock. I've seen people berate their kids for stumbling over a rock, in a matter of speaking. Number one, they didn't mean to do it. They're the ones that got hurt and they'll remember to watch for the rock the next time. You don't have to say a word except just to hug them and comfort them. I think that would be true in nearly every case. Even if they're doing something naughty, you just love them and tell them you're sorry and want to help. Don't give them a lecture; it doesn't do a bit of good. They don't want to hear a lecture. They want comfort. (emotional) I'm sorry, I cant quit crying today."
"We had an old table out here on the back porch and it haunts me that when Trevor was about 12, he went out to saw something and when he sawed the board, he also sawed the table. (crying) I went out and got mad at him. What a stupid thing for me to do. I hope I never did that again. Marcie now has the table and she thinks it's wonderful because it's old. It's her dining room table, even with the sawed off edge. I hope Trevor has forgiven me."


3 comments:
Callie, once you took my to your grandparents' for lunch and it was such fun! They are spectacular people and I love them. I'm very sorry to hear about your grandma's health, but I'm glad to hear that your uncle is quick to gather her wisdom for your family. You're SO blessed!
-Kelly
OK I might have cried a little too. Grandma has always been one to turn a situation around and look at it from the right perspective. I hate thinking about losing her so I'm not going to at the moment! Good post Cal!!
Callie
Grandma tells that story every time she sees my table. I have no doubt that Trevor has forgiven her. Whenever she had to get after us as children, she always came to our rooms at bedtime and asked us to forgive her for being angry with us. Amazing. I tell my kids I'm sorry I had to get angry. Totally different. She is a Saint. Saint Leona
Post a Comment