Monday, February 14, 2011

What's in a Name?

I've been thinking about this lately.
I have had lots of nicknames in my life... haven't we all? But I realized lately that there are a few nicknames in particular that only certain people call me. That is to say that it's only okay for those certain people to use. I came to this realization when at my 2nd Dr.'s appointment, my Dr. called me Cal. And because she is such a jovial, free spirit, it didn't bother me at all. However, it got me thinking that there are only a few people in my life that have ever called me Cal: my sisters, one of my best friends in high school (Kendra), and my best friend in college (Jessica). One of my other Besties (Heather) used a little different rendition, she called me Cal Cal. There might be others I am forgetting, but these are the ones that stand out to me. This got me to thinking about other nicknames I have had.

-My Mother always calls me Callie Gal or Callie Gal-lie. I dated a guy once that heard her call me this and then he called me it later, and it really annoyed me. I told him he wasn't allowed to ever call me that again...it's my mom's thing!

-My Dad and Uncle Darrin always calls me Scalliewag.

-My Grandpa Udall (and I think others) called me SuperCallie. (As in Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious).

-My sister Dena and I call each other Mija.

-My Mother in law calls me Callie-girl.

-In high school, my best friend Kandi called me Callie Sue, then just dropped Callie and started calling me Sue. To this day I answer to that, but only when it's her. :)

Then I started thinking about Randon....he has never called me Cal. I think it would be weird. He calls me Dolly or Sweetheart mostly. But when he does say my name, there is something about it that gives me very pleasant tingles. There are certain people that say my name and I think, "Ew...don't say my name anymore...". But when Randon says it, it makes me feel so loved and special. Why is that?

Seriously, this was one big Ramble...like I said...I've just been thinking about it lately....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Umm....you forgot the Wagster...as in Callie WAg.....love you...

Heather said...

Cal Cal and HM. Nicknames are awesome.