Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Girls Camp...NOW IS THE TIME!

So I got to go to camp this year with the Stake as the Craft Leader; and, as usual, it was lots of fun, and such a WONDERFUL experience! The theme was, "Now is the Time". The Stake was "the future" meaning the girls when they get older, not like the Jetsons. So we dressed up like crazy old women for our skit and made silly jokes about being old. Here is the flag I made...
But I accidentally painted it upside down which made it hilarious because we were being old... (HA! too bad it wasn't on purpose).
Throughout the week, Sister Peck (camp director) had the girls gather rocks after each activity. Medium, big, small, thin, fat, any size, any kind. Pretty soon we had some backpacks ripping and tearing. Wednesday night at the Fireside after Sister Palmer gave an amazing talk, her husband got up and spoke about Repentance. He asked the girls if the knew the significance of the rocks they had been gathering over the last few days. We had lots of really neat, mature comments about how the rocks represent sin and the burden it places on you, that you don't really have to carry it around if you repent. Other comments were made about the torn backpacks and how that represents us, how we can be so burdened down, that sin can sometimes cause us to feel tattered and torn. But there is always a way to be repaired. At the end of his talk, Brother Palmer asked us to sit quietly, pull our rocks out one at a time, and think about what they represent in our lives; what sin we may be carrying around, or a grudge we may be holding, or something we may need to let go of, and then one by one, toss them out. It was an incredible experience. The next day, after certification and other fun, the Bishops came up to spend some time with the girls. They played games together and had a great time. Later, while we were at evening Flag ceremony, President Peck asked us to turn around and see what our Bishops were doing around the camp fire (where we had been the night before). They were picking up our rocks. It was the coolest object lesson I have ever experienced. I bawled. The rest of camp was, of course, amazing. That was just one thing I didn't want to forget.
We made crafts...

We laughed and talked...

We ate great food...(our cooks, aren't they so cute?)Sang fun camp songs and dressed up silly... (Heather Claridge in her 80's get up and my mom).

Made new friendships... Summer, Heather, Kimmy, Callie, and CassieMe and Amy AllredKaren Fox, Annie Taylor, and Tammy Baldwin

Watched President Sanders and the other Brethren do the Tuti-Ta!...President Peck, President Sanders, and Brother Farar

and enjoyed the uplifting spirit that is present in the mountains. I love girls camp! It was a blast!

5 comments:

Krissa said...

HOW AWESOME!!!
wow...what a great analogy...i LOVE that...so so cool!!!!
it looks like you guys had a ton of fun...how great to have your mom and sister there...that is great!!!!!

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing that object lesson. It is beautiful.

Walters Family said...

Wow what an awesome object lesson. I will have to remember that one. That was just totally amazing. Glad you had a great time.

Megan said...

Oh my gosh! Is that Faithful Pines?! That's totally where I went to girl's camp! Did you smell the sweet Ponderosas? mmm...

Amy Allred said...

Disclaimer: That is NOOOOT my normal face! Thanks Callie!!! J/K I am so glad that we were both there and were able to become better friends! I can't wait to hang out!!!!!!!!!!!