So a few weeks ago when I went to Safford, my mom gave me the things I inherited from my Grandma Udall. I didn't want much...a piece of jewelry maybe, a tablecloth, but most of all I wanted a tin cup. That may sound silly to those of you who didn't grow up playing at their house, so let me enlighten you. Grandma told us that when she was little, there was a tin cup attached to the pump at school. During recess they would all take turns pumping the water and drinking from the tin cup. She said the water always tasted so cool and delicious from that tin cup. So she always had two at her house...and as far as I can remember we fought over who got the tin cups. Because, she was right, the water seemed to taste better from them. I always wanted to be the first one to the kitchen so I could claim my tin cup. Anyway, I got one from my grandmother, I also got a pair of earrings, a tablecloth, and two glass serving bowls that came with one of her old kitchen towels in between them, so they wouldn't break. I brought my stuff home and put it all away except for the bowls and the cup. When I got to the kitchen I put a little water in the cup and took a drink, I pulled out the towel from between the bowls and smelled it. Then I cried. I miss her. I miss her humming in her kitchen when she was wiping off the counters, I miss drinking water from a tin cup in her house, I miss the way she said, "Hello this is Udalls" when she answered the phone, I miss her smell. I miss my Grandma.
Friday, June 26, 2009
Missing Grandma
Posted by Callie at 8:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
how neat that you're able to have those things from your grandma! especially the ones you have such great memories from!
I CHERISH the things that I inherited from my grandma (I even had a hard time getting rid of her old vacuum when it died!).
It's okay to miss - it just means you love her!! :)
That is cool you were able to get that. I love that story...I agree its okay to miss her. absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Love ya!
Oh! Don't get started. I am having a hard enough time just letting it be July soon. One year! Can't even wrap my mind around it. So, don't start with the missing her!!!!!! Yikes.
You are so beautiful the way you captured those memories. I loved that story. I'm so sorry for your pain. It is very hard to miss those we love. Know that Jim and I love you!
I miss her too. I loved that post. I also loved reading about both trips. That really was so fun!
Loved this post friend...I was just thinking I wanted to find some tin cups online to remember her...looks like you had a good time in VEGAS! You were all crammed in the house good!
Dang it, woman! Why you gotta be posting stuff that makes me cry! I got two grapefruit spoons and I haven't used them yet. They've been in the drawer with the rest of the spoons and I grab a regular spoon from underneith them everytime they make their way to the top. Until I make myself get to the store and buy a grapefruit, in the drawer they will remain. I miss her too.
Dang it, woman! Why you gotta be posting stuff that makes me cry! I got two grapefruit spoons and I haven't used them yet. They've been in the drawer with the rest of the spoons and I grab a regular spoon from underneith them everytime they make their way to the top. Until I make myself get to the store and buy a grapefruit, in the drawer they will remain. I miss her too.
Post a Comment