Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pedestrians have the right of way!

So I got a call at work today that every wife dreads.

Woman: Is this Callie?
Me: Yes
Woman: My name is Amy and I'm with your husband. Now don't panick...
(Are you kidding me? As soon as someone says that, what is the first thing you do? PANICK!)
Me: What's wrong?
Woman: You're husband was hit by a car.

Half an hour later I was at the UMC Emergency Room with a very banged up Randon. However, until I got there it was such a terrifying 30 minutes. I didn't know what to expect or how he was or anything.
So here's what happened... He was walking in a crosswalk and a man was making a left hand turn (going REALLY fast) and didn't even see Randon there. Randon says he saw the car but it was too late. The car hit him on his left side, threw him in the air, and hit him again. (If you think Randon looks bad, you should see the car.) He landed about 20 feet away on his back. Thankfully he was wearing a backpack and it caught the brunt of the blow. He had no head, neck, or back injuries. His left side is pretty beat up. His leg is really swollen and purple, his ankle is really swollen and sprained (he's on crutches), and he has really bad road rash and a bump on his elbow. No broken bones, no internal injuries. We were at the Emergency room for about six hours, when they FINALLY let him go home. Oh boy, it was a long emotionally draining day.
The silly thing is, about eight people started crossing the crosswalk before they were supposed to. Randon dutifully waited for the green light (becuase he knows how crazy Tucson drivers are) and HE got hit.
I am just so grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord. I know that pedestrian accidents are very frightening and often fatal. I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who helped my Randon get home in one piece.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Matthias: What intersection? Curse you, Tucson drivers!

Megan: Oh my gosh! I can't even imagine how hard that call must have been! I'm so glad to hear that for the most part, he's all right. Luckily bumps, bruises, scrapes and sprains are usually pretty quick to heal! yikes!

heather said...

Holy Crap! I'm glad he's okay!! How scary! I would have been totally flipping out too!! -What is it with these college towns and CRAZY drivers??

Walters Family said...

Oh my gosh!!! I need to see more pictures so I know he is really all in one piece! Man, that is a scary call to get from your daughter (in law) saying "Randon got hit by a car". (Of course we are at another hospital in Phoenix waiting for Krissa to go into surgery.) Holy crap is right!! I am so glad that he is ok. He will feel like he was truly RAN OVER tomorrow, but he is in one piece.

lisa said...

Callie,
I am so sorry I didn't get to call you back! John said he did. I will call you tomorrow! I am so glad he is ok. It is crazy out there. John got hit by a car on his bike when he was going to ASU! SCARY! We will pray that he will heal up fast! Love you!
lis

Heather said...

Oh. my. word. I'm so sorry, Cal-Cal! I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it was, but I hope he doesn't feel too miserable as the bruises set in.

Jim and Brooke said...

I can understand the pain and shock of a scary phone call. I'm so sorry. Thank goodness he is alright! You have been very blessed. I sure love you!

PS. cute blog!

Wolfingtons said...

So glad that he is ok.