Sunday, November 23, 2008

Blessings

So I am sure that you are all starting to get tired of hearing about the accident but I just wanted to say a couple of things. More than anything I think this experience has brought to my attention the many blessings I have in my life.

Many times since the accident I have flashed back to that very scary moment when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a car traveling very quickly right at me. The only thing I could do was put my hand in front of me and the next thing I knew I was hit, in the air, and then lying in the street. I am not really sure what happened between hitting the car and finding myself on the ground. According to the police report, which I just received a copy of, I traveled about 25 feet from the point of collision. That is a long way. The gentlemen who hit me said,

"That was the worst five seconds of my life. I saw you go flying and I though you were dead."

My first thought is "Worst five seconds of your life? You didn't get hit!" But that really was the first blessing. The man was very kind and very concerned for my well-being. He fully cooperated with police and the insurance company and even came to see me in the hospital.

As I lay there in the street after the collision those first few seconds were scary. I really didn't know how bad I was hurt. I was laying in a very awkward position as I had no control over how I landed. But one thing struck me right off the bat. My head was resting nicely against my back pack. Of all the ways I could have landed flying through the air, I landed in such a way that my head was completely protected. Since that day I have talked with firefighters and people familiar with accidents and emergency response and I have learned truly what a blessing it is that I was not more seriously hurt. To get hit hard enough to fly 25 feet is a serious thing. I am told that it usually takes people weeks to months to be released from the hospital from something like that. Multiple fractures, head and neck injuries, are the normal. Yet I walked away without a single broken bone. Don't get me wrong. I definitely feel like I was hit by a car. I have many bruises and swollen body parts to show. But overall I am ok. Tell me that isn't divine intervention. I know that I am built solid but there is no way on my own I could have survived so well. I truly feel blessed that for whatever reason Heavenly Father protected me that day.

As I lay in the street my first request after calling 911 was that somebody call my wife Callie. She knew what was going on before the paramedics even got there. That is because she is so important to me. I feel so incredibly blessed to have her in my life. I knew how lucky I was to have her before this accident happened. However, since then as I have had to rely on her so much more I have really learned how wonderful she is and how much she loves me. She literally has waited on me hand and foot and done everything within her power to make me more comfortable during this time. She is my everything and I love her so much. She is such a blessing.

I am so grateful for wonderful friends. I study with a really great group of guys. Each one of them came to see me in the emergency room. They have all continuously called to check up on me and helped me so much. They take turns giving me rides to school and doctors appointments. They have lightened my load in school while I have been recovering. They have provided so much service and I am so blessed to have them as friends.

Last I am so grateful for each of you. I am grateful for those that have prayed for me, that have checked up on my progress. I have truly felt your strength and am so grateful.

I am recovering pretty well. My goal is to be walking (or limping) without crutches and without my protective boot by Thanksgiving. While this has been a terrible experience in some ways I am grateful it has happened. I have learned so much from this experience and appreciate so much the blessings that I enjoy.

Randon

5 comments:

Janiel said...

hey man! i'm glad to hear that you are feeling better considering everything. next time i get hit by a car (hmmm) i want callie there helping me out. she's amazing! we'll see you at thanksgiving?

heather said...

I am so thankful that you are okay -and that you shared this. You are such an amazing person. I hope that you continue to heal quickly and that you can be back to normal soon!

Kimberly said...

Randon,

I am so glad you are ok and doing better!! You were truly blessed to walk away with just bruises and your elephantitis (love that phrase!). I know without a shadow of doubt that Heavenly Father kept you protected from the moment of impact to when you fell to the ground. You and Callie take care!!!

Love you guys,
Kimberly

Megan Turnidge said...

You don't know me, but Callie does! :) What a scary experience, but it's amazing to read how you've counted your blessings! I hope you continue to heal and are back to your old self in no time!

The Swinson Family said...

Hi Callie, its Lora Capel (well Swinson now). I don't know if you remember me but we used to play together when we were little! :) Just wanted to say Hi.

Randon-feel better soon. I'm sorry you had to go through such a scary experience. You and Callie are in my prayers.