Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Church History Tour and Herrington Visit

My parents and Lela came for a few days back in October and we went on a Church History Tour. We went to Kirtland, Palmyra, and Fayette. We also hit up Niagara Falls (for the breathtaking view) and Buffalo (for the wings) on our way. I was really sick the first day and a half of our trip. I had a feaver, a congested chest, and serious stomach issues. It was horrible. But despite that, I still participated in almost everything we had planned. While in Kirtland we went to the Temple, the Visitors Center that has the Newel K. Whitney store, the Whitney Home, the School of the Prophets, the Ashery, the Sawmill, etc. Randon and I have been there before but it was still neat to see. 
(My Dad at the Sawmill)
(Lela and I couldn't get over the amazing flowers outside the Temple in Kirtland)
We also got to go to the John Johnson farm and the Isaac Morley Farm (which Randon and I had never been to). It was cool to be in the places where the Prophet walked, and some places where the Father and Son appeared. Places where so many revelations were recieved and sacrifices were made for the church. Just so much rich history. There was an English couple at the Isaac Morley farm, and after they gave us the tour and information, I asked her what members of the church do about tea time in England. She said they just don’t drink it. But then she told us about proper tea time and how people used to do it and then she told us about how when people always pretend to be proper they put their pinky’s up. She said that is actually false. She said that if people couldn’t fit all their fingers in the cup handle and their pinky was left out it meant they were a fat, horrible person and it was actually considered very rude. Lela and I got a pretty big kick out of that because that’s how we American’s pretend to be proper. 
(The room where Joseph was taken to be tarred and feathered that night his twins got sick and one later died.)

(In Joseph Smiths Office where he translated some of the Book of Mormon)
(Outside the John Johnson home)

We drove to Buffalo that night to a restaurant Randon had discovered where wings were first invented called Anchor Bar. During the drive I was very ill. My stomach was in a bad way and I felt so wretched. I didn’t eat anything at the restaurant. But Randon abd my Dad really enjoyed their wings, and my mom ordered a salad that turned out to be so big it could have fed three of us. The restaurant had live music by a man that sounded a lot like Frank Senatra and sang a bunch of his songs. It was nice. 

(There was this funny statue in the restaurant that Lela and I had a good time posing with!)

Then we headed to the hotel and I just crashed in a hot bath. I had a really high fever. Everyone else went to Niagara Falls to see the lights, but I stayed in and just rested.



The next day we went to Niagara Falls to get the day time view. We stopped in a tourist shop to get some breakfast and get warm. Lela and I sat near some Asian people who were eating french fries with a fork and we giggled at them. Then she and I took these pictures and they giggled at us. It was a funny cultural difference moment. 



Dad and Randon went on a boat tour near the Falls called “The Maid of the Mist”. Mom, Lela and I were too cold (and I still wasn’t feeling very good) so we opted out. 




We went up in an observation deck that was supposed to be closed, but we snuck in and took some of Lela’s Senior Pictures. We also went up on this bridge that overlooked the Falls, it was gorgeous. Then we took some more pictures of Lela. After Dad and Randon got back we ate at the Hardrock Cafe. My first meal in about 24 hours. Mom and I shared this delicious Salmon and mashed potatoes. It was awesome.




Next we headed to Palmyra. We stopped at the Hill Cumorah Visitors Center first to see what our options were. We got to hear the Audio that goes with the Christus Statue.
From there we went to the Joseph Smith Farm. We got a tour of the log home and the frame house. 
The Sister Missionary told us an amazing story I had never heard before about Joseph Smith in the frame house. She said one night the mob came to try and get the Gold Plates so Joseph Smith hid them between his two sisters in their bed. When the mob came in the house looking, they did not find them. She also told us stories about the family and how they supported and believed Joseph through everything. I love that his family was such a support, though he and they were persecuted so much. Then we headed down a little path, past the apple orchards and wood fences to the Sacred Grove. I waundered away from everyone on my own and just sat on a bench pondering. It is such a beautiful, peaceful place. I know that what Joseph said happened there is true.


Then we headed to the Book of Mormon Publication site. I cannot believe that’s how they used to print things! The work that went into that was so meticulous and time consuming, and the money to have it done, made me appreciate all the more the importance of the Book of Mormon.



After a quick dinner and a little pizza place, we headed back to the Hill Cumorah Visitors Center. We drove up the Hill to see the Monument lit up. It was very cold so we headed back to our Hotel.
The next morning we went to the Palmyra Temple. Lela did baptisms and Mom, Dad, Randon and I did sealings. We got to look out (what they call) “President Hinckley’s Window” in the Temple that has a view of the Sacred Grove. 




We went back to the Sacred Grove to have one more look, then back to the Hill Cumorah to see the Monument in the daylight. 
(A view from the Hill Cumorah looking at the Sacred Grove)

Then we headed to Fayette to see where the church was organized. While we were touring the Peter Whitmer home, the Sister Missionary told a story that (again) I had never heard. She said the mother of the home was so busy cooking for people, and trying to run a household and having people in and out all the time, she was getting frustrated. One day she was in the garden and the Angel Moroni appeared to her and showed her the Gold Plates. So many cool miracles and stories I had never heard happened in these very places we saw.
(This is a super cool statue in the Visitors Center at Fayette--of Peter James and John restoring the Priesthood)
Before we headed home we stopped at a little grocery store owned by local menanites. We had super yummy, cheap sup sandwiches, chips, chocoate, soda, you name it, we ate it. Then we began the long drive home. Mom, Lela and I watched The Fiddler on the Roof for some of the way...we also slept.


When we got back, we enjoyed some time together here with Kenlee (who had stayed with friends). She took to my Mama and they bonded quickly. Kenlee had a hard time when she left.

 There is an Elder serving in my ward from my home town that my parents know really well. He and his companion came over for dinner. We had a great time! It was a little piece of home for him. 

2 comments:

Amanda said...

awesome!

Leah said...

This look awesome! I'm jealous...loved all the pictures and stories