Even though they tell you your Grandma only has so long to live...and you prepare yourself and you visit when you can, you are never fully ready to say goodbye. At least, I wasn't. I went this weekend to see her, knowing it would be the last time. So I sat with her and I held her hand, and I tried to be as normal as possible. She didn't speak very often or very loud, so when she did I leaned in like everyone else, hanging onto her every word. When it came time to leave I didn't think I would be able to do it. How do you say goodbye, knowing it will be the last time in this life? So I stooped down and gave her a hug, and I kissed her cheek and I held her hand and I told her I loved her. And she said goodbye. And as soon as I got out of the room I lost it. I wasn't there last night, but my sister related what happened. A lot of the family was there because my Grandpa had asked for a blessing. After the blessing they sang "Love at Home" (a favorite of my Grandparents), then had a family prayer... and then she was gone. I am so grateful to have the gospel! I can't imagine what it would be like not believing that there is life after death. And even though I will miss her terribly, I know I will see my Grandma again. I have been very blessed to have known her. So here are a few songs that have given me comfort...a tribute to my wonderful Grandma Udall.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Farewell
Grandmother
You give me a kiss. You give me a hug.
You smile when you see me too.
I wish every child in the whole wide world
had a Grandmother just like you.
You read me a book. You sing me a song.
You whisper you love me too.
I wish every child in the whole wide world
had a Grandmother just like you.
I'll try to be good; I'll do what I should.
I'll whisper, I love you too!
I wish every child in the whole wide world
Had a Grandmother just like you!
Each Life that touches our for Good
What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know?
Than Christ-like friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.
When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
a sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.
Posted by Callie at 8:38 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Wow... what can I say? That was so beautiful. What a beautiful way to leave this life then to have family gathered, a beautiful song and a family prayer. I am sure there was just as much or more family on the other side waiting for her. She sounds like a wonderful woman and Grandmother. I am sorry for your loss. Yes, you will be together again some day. I am sure she will be there waiting for you... way in the future when you have lived a wonderful long life! Love ya, Callie Girl!
Hey Callie, this is Natalie Cortez-Peterson. I just stumbled upon your blog. A friend of a friend of a friend's blog i guess. Anyway, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It sounds like she was a very special woman and that she was very loved by her family. Tell your mom and family that they are in our prayers.
Beautiful tribute Callie. I agree whole heartedly.
Hi Callie. I'm so sorry to read about the lose of your Grandmother. It is very sad and hard to say good-bye to a loved one, but I know what keeps me going is knowing that I WILL be with them again. Can you imagine that reunion? :) That brings me such peace and joy. Again, I'm really sorry about your Grandmother and it sounds like you have some wonderful memories of her. :)
Post a Comment