Thursday, July 17, 2008

GRANDMA UDALL

My heart is very full tonight, and I just feel like I have to write something. My mom called me today with the news that my Grandma will probably only be with us another week. I have been a blubbering ever since. Then I read my sister Dena's Blog with a Tribute to Grandma and I blubbered some more. When death is so near it really causes you to reflect on so many things. In this case it has caused me to reflect on my Grandma's life, my relationship with her, and my own life. It's just so short. So I'm gonna tell you a story about her. When I was about 8 my Grandparents were on a Mission in Nauvoo, IL. So we were encouraged to send them letters as often as we could. Well I got this little leather key chain, in the shape of a boot... from somewhere? I think it was like the Fair or something (if my 8 year old memory serves me right). Whichever way I got it, for some reason I sent it to my Grandma...I don't know why...8 year olds do strange things. Anyway, a few weeks ago I was in Safford visiting my family so I stopped in to see my Grandparents for a little while. She asked me if I had put my name on anything of hers that I wanted. I said no. Later, I was in the kitchen getting a drink of water and on the counter were my Grandma's keys...with the little leather boot keychain on them! It was all tattered and faded and old. So I went back in the living room and said, "Oh my gosh! You still have this?" And she said, "I love it. I never got a new one, it's my favorite keychain." I almost cried. Then I said, "Well Grandma, this is what I'll put my name on. I want the boot." I cried later. I don't know why, it's just a stupid boot keychain that a stupid 8 year old girl sent her Grandma because she wanted to give her a gift....but she kept it. All this time. It just made me feel really special. Knowing I gave her something she loved and has kept for so long. I'm grateful for my Grandma and her wonderful life and love, and all the things she has taught me.

2 comments:

Cara said...

I love the story, thank you for sharing it. It describes Grandma very well.

Megan said...

I know you don't get to go to RS, but the Joseph Smith Lesson (14, page 171) was on comfort for those who deal with death of a loved one. I thought it might help you. The words of Joseph Smith are so amazing!

*hugs* If you need anything, give me a call.