I just have to give a shout out to my brother John (Lisa's husband). My mom recieved a call from our dentists office a few weeks back letting her know that John Ferrin was on the cover of American Dental Association Weekly Newspaper (a national magazine, mind you)! She said she would save it for us. The Article is called, "A Brothers Love". John's brother Clint died in Afganistan in 2004 so John started the Sergeant Clint Ferrin Memorial Clinic at UNLV (where he's in his third year of dental school).
The Article says, “John Ferrin wanted to do something that would both honor his late brother and take care of the veterans he spent his life admiring. As a student at the (UNLV) School of Dental Medicine, dentistry is John’s passion – and he hoped that a dental clinic dedicated to improving the oral health of soldiers would serve as the perfect tribute to his brother and a great way to get involved with donating care... The clinic is operated by UNLV dental students but supervised by Nevada licensed dentists and provides a full range of treatments including restorations, root canal therapy, extractions, crowns and dentures... For that initiative and for its significant contribution to student outreach, ULNV was the 2009 recipient of the ADA foundation Bud Tarrson...award... Each year the award recognizes one exemplary volunteer community service project developed by dental students enrolled in a predoctoral dental education program. It is John's hope that other dental schools will take on similar projects to help veterans...John said he thinks about his brother all the time and considers him his personal hero”.
Basically, the ADAF Tarrson access award has been given to UNLV because of John’s efforts in starting the clinic. It’s a pretty big deal.
I just have to say that John is very near and dear to my heart. He has always made me feel like a real sister and been as wonderful as any big brother. He is such a good example of service and charity. He just emulates our Saviors love. I'm really proud of you John! I love you!



2 comments:
Callie,
That was so sweet of you to say all that. I just read it to John and he said " That was so nice of her." So, thank you. I am very proud of him.
I agree 100% with all you said about Johnny. He is such a gem. Love him so much!
Post a Comment